| What is AMANI Birth?
" The Creator is not a careless mechanic."
Ina May Gaskin
AMANI Birth stands for Assisting Mothers for Active, Natural and Instinctive Birth. As AMANI Child Birth Educators and Birth Doulas, we strive to promote AMANI Birth, Islamic-based childbirth education and doula birth support to our mothers.
Our primary goal is to teach trust in Allah first and foremost and that birth is a form of worship. We do not provide medical advice or services and recommend that all expectant parents seek out proper attendance for their birth. AMANI Birth Certified Childbirth Educators teach the following principles:
1. Allah is in control of all things.
2. Birth is a natural life event.
3. Birth is inherently safe.
4. The mother’s role in maximizing birth’s safeguards.
5. Trust in birth is trust in Allah.
6. Physiology of pregnancy.
7. Physical preparation for labor/birth.
8. The importance of good nutrition during pregnancy.
9. Natural techniques for labor pain.
10. The importance of avoiding drugs in pregnancy and labor.
11. Parental responsibility starts in pregnancy.
12. Birth consumerism is an obligation of good parenting.
13. Making informed decisions during pregnancy and birth.
14. Self-advocacy is a right and a responsibility in birth.
15. The birth experience matters for a lifetime.
16. Empowering women in birth.
17. Educating partners to support mothers in labor.
18. Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for babies.
19. Thanking Allah for the birth experience.
20. Trust in Allah’s plan for our births and our lives.
Although, AMANI Birth is based on Islamic principles, we cater to all our sisters, Muslims and non-Muslims, as every mother deserves a positive and rewarding experience for their births.
“Whoever relieves his brother [or sister] of a hardship from the hardships of this world, Allah shall relieve him of a hardship from the hardships of the Day of Judgment. And whoever makes things easy for a person in difficulty, Allah will ease for him in this world and the Next. And whoever conceals (the faults of) a Muslim, Allah will conceal him in this world and the Next. Allah is forever aiding a slave so long as he is in the aid of his brother.” [Sahih Muslim, al-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and others]
For more information, go to www.amanibirth.com